Derzhavin Tambov State University

Nostrification and Legalisation


According to the legislation of the Russian Federation, documents issued in another country can be accepted by Russian authorities and organizations only if they are legalized. Legalization is the commission of a number of certain formal procedures for making the document legal in the territory of another country with the aim of being able to submit it to the official bodies of another country.

NOSTRIFICATION is a procedure of recognition of documents confirming previous education in a foreign country, that is, the consent of relevant country authorities for the validity of these documents on the territory of Russia.

The procedure for establishing the equivalence of academic credentials issued by foreign countries includes the examination, decision-making, registration and issuance of an equivalence certificate.

The decision to recognize and establish the equivalence of documents issued by foreign countries in the Russian Federation is carried out by Main State Center for Education Evaluation.  

Recognition and establishment of equivalence of academic credentials issued by foreign countries is carried out upon the application of the holder of the document or university.

Required documents:

  1. The original of the educational document is obligatory with the supplement and grades.
    Attention! The diploma (certificate) number and the number indicated in the supplement must match.

  2. Translation of the educational document and its supplement into Russian in 2 copies.
    Translation must necessarily be notarized.

  3. Two copies of passport.

  4. Notarized translation of the passport.

  5. Certificate from the educational institution, confirming the fact of training.

Important! Additional documentation (the description of the courses passed, information about the previous education, etc.) may be required from the applicant.

The applicant is also entitled to provide other evidence of his/her education, including documents on subsequent levels of education, on admission to professional activities and practical experience.

The materials and documents used for establishing equivalence are to be submitted with a certified translation. The translation is certified by the Russian notary or the Embassy (Consulate) of the Russian Federation in the country in which the educational document was issued. In some cases, a translation made by the Embassy (Consulate) in Russia of the country whose authorities have issued the educational document may be submitted.


Detailed information

Recognition of foreign academic credentials in Russia –

Legalization –

Preparation of the package of documents –